Oak Ridge Public Library first opened its doors on May 29,1944 due to a high demand for books from the sudden relocation of residents during World War II. Our collection began as a simple magazine and redistribution program made from donated materials, and was delivered by Boy Scouts to the dormitories, hospitals, and common areas of town. Located on the corner of Kentucky and Tennessee Avenues, the first library building served a town of 75,000 citizens. On opening day, the small collection housed 1,700 books, but quickly grew. In November of 1970, the library officially opened at its current location on Oak Ridge Turnpike. The Oak Ridge Room was dedicated in 1986 as part of Library’s celebration of Tennessee’s Homecoming ‘86. Today, the library continues to strive to serve the diverse community in Oak Ridge and expand our offerings to streaming services, mobile printing, digital collections, historical archives, various technology access and devices, and engaging programs for all ages.